2 replies to this topic

#1 jeremp

jeremp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hi there,

First of all i'd like to say that i'm testing carriots and it seems to work great.

I've got two question to ask : 

1. is-it possible to store binary data (like the picture taken by a webcam) as a device measure ? 
  2. Is-it possible to implement on the carriots platform a sort of background job which will be pulling data from a device who cannot make HTTP POST or do i need to host that code somewhere else ?

Thank you.

Jeremy

#2 alvaro

alvaro

Carriots CTO

• Administrators
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Hi Jeremy.

It's great to know that your expierence with Carriots is going well.

Answering your questions

is-it possible to store binary data (like the picture taken by a webcam) as a device measure ?

It is technically possible to store binary data if you serialize it. But I have to warn you that Carriots have a 10KB limit per data stream so it wont work for images. For this cases we recommend to use external services and manage metadata with Carriots.

Is-it possible to implement on the carriots platform a sort of background job which will be pulling data from a device who cannot make HTTP POST or do i need to host that code somewhere else ?

There is no cron-like tasks explicitly implemented on Carriots, but there is a feature that can do the job if it suits your needs. You can use device inner status automatic changes to raise events. You can define a Data or Status stream frequency and make Carriots expect a stream within a time range and if no stream is received an event is fired (Event Device Change State) that can be catched by a Listener. You can find more details about inner status in the documentation page: https://www.carriots...ce_inner_status

Hope it helps.

Enjoy Carriots!

Alvaro Everlet

Carriots CTO

#3 jeremp

jeremp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

Hi,

Thank you for these answers.