#1 Zambiot

Zambiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

I noticed the Status Stream is API documentation today.  https://www.carriots...nagement#status

I'd like to recommend that you review the Create entry for consistency with nomenclature for the Control Panel.  For instance, the API wording says, "device's file names", but I don't see items in the Control Panel with such naming.  I suspect that status stream is referencing "Properties" of the device.

Please review and make it clearer.

Thank you.

#2 Zambiot

Zambiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

I am in the management screen for a specific device because I am setting up my first listener.  I noticed the files tab next to the listener tab. I am curious to learn more about this, because it looks like it is related to the Status Stream.   

#3 mcastillo

mcastillo

Carriots CEO

• Administrators
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMadrid

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Wow Zambiot you catch them all! Yes the Status stream is related to upgrade the device firmware or configuration files via OTA. You will see all the details in the documentation ( most likely yo be released next week). If remember right, if Carriots detects a mismatch between the configuration the devices declares and the version it is supposed to have, then the response os the status streams points to the URL to the correct file. Depending on the capabilities of you device you can store those files or process them on the fly. Once we release the documentation and you try it we can open a topic thread on ways to use it and collect you feedback.

#4 alvaro

alvaro

Carriots CTO

• Administrators
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Hello Zambiot.

We've published a very basic tutorial about sending status streams here: https://www.carriots...d_stream/status in which we explain how it can be used for device's file management. I'm sure it's not a complete guide, but I hope it can help you understand the idea behind status streams and file management in Carriots.

We are working in building a lot of documentation needed, but waiting for it's release feel free to ask us about any topic ;-)

Thanks!

Alvaro Everlet

Carriots CTO

#5 Zambiot

Zambiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Thank you.  I just skimmed the tutorial and my first question would be on the file naming.  What rules are there for naming the file?  How is Carriots determining the version number?  Do the numbers have to be in a specific character number of the name or separated by periods, etc?

I'll run through the tutorial in detail later this week.  

#6 alvaro

alvaro

Carriots CTO

• Administrators
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hello Zambiot.

File names are just like other text values, same rules apply.

Versioning is done manually by the user so it must be updated when you upload a new content. You can use any string you want. It can be "1.0" or "v1.0" or "1.0a". Carriots will perform a string comparison and and when versions does or does not match will send a response according to it. This response is only applied to keys in "data" field that correspond to the device associated files. It's explained in the tutorial.

HIH

Alvaro Everlet

Carriots CTO

#7 Zambiot

Zambiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Thank you.

#8 Zambiot

Zambiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

I'm finally circling back to this topic.  I am excited for the potential of downloading firmware from files stored on Carriots.  I attempted to upload my firmware file, ~130KB, but was rejected because of the file size.  Any chance the file size limit can be changed to something like 500KB?  "Who would ever need that much storage space?"  ;=)

#9 jpastor

jpastor

Development leader

• Administrators
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hello Zambiot.

Currently the maximum size is 10 Kb. It is possible that we increase this size, but I think that never up to 500 Kb.

If you want to upload firmware files too large, you can place them in DropBox and use our communication API for download.

Hope it helps.

Enjoy Carriots!

#10 Zambiot

Zambiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Thank you jpastor.  My firmware files could be as large as 250 Kb.  I'll look into what you mention about Dropbox, I'm hoping to not make this complicated on my poor device.

#11 sdeancos

sdeancos

Master of Puppets

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Hi All!

Connecting to dropbox with carriots is as simple as the other parts of our API.

I hope you get it to work in a simple and fast, if not, you know that this forum is a good place to get feedback!

Enjoy Carriots!

#12 Zambiot

Zambiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

Yes, after studying the API, I see that connecting to files in Dropbox is rather easy.  It is just one step I didn't want to do, but as I get into this I see that there are some other great things that can come from this feature.  Although, I still think it would be simple to have an interface be purely with Carriots for firmware files of larger sizes than 10Kb.

#13 jpastor

jpastor

Development leader

• Administrators
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for your feedback

We'll study this possibility, you know that soon we'll increase this size. Anyway Dropbox integration can be very interesting for many things.

Enjoy Carriots!

#14 Zambiot

Zambiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

OK - I've dug into Dropbox.  Using the Carriots API to get file names and such is easy.  However, the trouble is in following the short-link, which then expands to a Dropbox link, which is then HTTPS.  My little system isn't able to handle this.  

For the moment it looks like I should pause this feature test and focus on another portion of my development.  I can review it again in the future and it may be I self-host the firmware files, which isn't all that bad, but just something I need to code.

-Zambiot

#15 mcastillo

mcastillo

Carriots CEO

• Administrators
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMadrid

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Thank you Zambiot. This is a very nice feedback. Based on your experience we will try to enhance this feature. Regards.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: API, Status Stream, Create

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users